Thank you for visiting my About page to learn more about me and this site.
I’m Jason Butler. May 10th, 2008, was one of the greatest days of my life. It was the day that I graduated from college (Savannah State University). After five years in college, I could finally call myself a college graduate. I knew that a high-paying job was right around the corner. Well, it wasn’t. Getting my first full-time job took me a year and a half.
After a few years of ups and downs, I realized I needed to get serious about my finances. I started this debt repayment journey with over $72,000 worth of debt. That included student loans, credit cards, and a car note. I realized I couldn’t make any power moves in life with that much debt. Some things had to change.
I had to figure out how to create additional income streams to help me get rid of this debt quicker. In 2015, I got focused and started trying out different side hustles. Some of the ones I’ve succeeded at are flipping items on sites like eBay, Mercari, and Poshmark, selling t-shirts, and freelance writing.
Why I Started My Money Chronicles
I created My Money Chronicles to document my debt journey and to help people find ways to make extra money. I wanted to show people that they can still have a life while they are in debt. I also wanted them to know that debt doesn’t have to last forever.
Since I started this site, it has grown into so much more. During this process, I’ve paid off over $52,000 worth of debt and grown my income each year.
You can expect to find personal finance, travel, side hustle, sports, and even entertainment topics.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration from Savannah State University.
- I was a financial aid counselor for nearly five years.
- I was a bank teller for almost two years.
- I’ve been blogging for a decade. This version of the site has been around since 2019.
- Google Analytics 4 Certified
10 Facts About Me
- Selling things online is my favorite side hustle. I currently have items on eBay, Mercari, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, Poshmark, OfferUp, Bonanza, and Nextdoor.
- I love sports. My favorite teams are the Atlanta Braves, the Atlanta Hawks, the Atlanta Falcons, and the Duke Blue Devils (NCAA Basketball).
- I love traveling. Ever since I was a kid, I have loved visiting new destinations. My favorite domestic place to visit is Miami. Paris is my favorite international destination so far.
- I’ve run in a few 5K’s and plan on running in 6 more in 2024.
- My favorite rapper of all time is 2pac Shakur.
- I’ve had a lot of side hustle failures. Most of my t-shirt designs failed. I lost money twice doing MLM.
- I won money and prizes on The Price is Right.
- I interned at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida, from January 2004 – July 2004. It was seven of the best months of my life.
- I have a goal to attend a game in every Major League Baseball stadium. I have currently visited 22 of them.
- I lived in Savannah, Georgia, for eight years. I was in college for five of those years. I stayed there for three years after I graduated. I learned a lot about life during my time there.
Posts That I’ve Been Featured
- Forbes: 10 Years Later: 4 Millennials Describe How The Great Recession Shaped Their Lives
- Discover: 3 Things to do With Your Summer Job Money
- Investopedia: What Advice Would You Give Your 25-Year-Old Self
- Debt Free Divas: The Financial State of Affairs in the African-American Community Part II
- Financial Freedom Community: Side Hustling with Jason Butler
- How Jason Created an eBay Side Hustle to Pay Down His Debt
- Pocket of Money: Creating a Side Hustle Selling on eBay